The word chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning wheel. The chakra system is a very important energetic system of the human body. Chakas are subtle energy centers which some describe as looking like a flower facing outward, having petals and a stem, and others describe the chakras looking more like a cone opening outward.Chakras are openings for energy to flow into and out of the aura. We are able to open and close our chakras to moderate this flow of energy. Healthy flow is important since stagnant energy flow in the chakras leads to imbalances in our system and illness. A lack of flow can distort our perceptions and bring us down. However, having chakras too far open before we are ready for the intensity of the energy psychologically and spiritually speaking, can lead to a chakra being “blown out” or damaged. A healthy and moderate opening of our chakras according to our development, clarity and maturity is essential for long term wellness.
Here is a list of the seven major chakras of the human body, their location, and the color associated with them.
These major chakras are along the midline of the body.
- Base or First Chakra, located at the base of the spine, cone opens downward – Red
- Sacral or Second Chakra, located below the navel – Red-Orange
- Solar Plexus or Third Chakra, located between the navel and chest – Yellow
- Heart or Fourth Chakra, located in the center of the chest – Green or Pink
- Throat or Fifth Chakra, located at the front of the throat – Light Blue
- Forehead, Third Eye or Sixth Chakra, located between the eyebrows on the forehead – Indigo
- Crown or Seventh Chakra, located above the head, cone opens upward – White or Purple
Next we will explore specific functions of the chakras.